Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cross Motif: The Bitter Waters of Marah Sweetened

As promised, here is my second installment regarding the repetition of cross symbolism in the Old Testament. The first one was in Exodus 11 during the Passover. This one appears several chapters later in Exodus 15:22-27. The Israelites have walked miraculously through the Red Sea. Then they travel for 3 days without finding water before they come to the waters of Marah. They are so excited to find something to drink at last. But wait--the water is so bitter they can't drink it. They begin complaining to Moses. He cries out to God. God shows him a tree which he throws into the waters and it causes the waters to become sweet.

The cross was made of a tree and I think a correlation is being made between God's provision of water to the Israelites and His later provision of living water (salvation) that Jesus promises will keep us from ever thirsting again (John 4:10). Christ's death on a tree has the ability to provide sweet salvation to turn the bitter waters of our souls (caused by sin) into fountains of joy.

The bitter waters were actually called "Marah" because that word means bitter in Hebrew. There is another mention of this word in the book of Ruth. When Naomi's husband and two sons die, she asks people to call her Mara because she believes the Almighty has dealt bitterly with her. The common name "Mary" in the New Testament is derived from this word as well.
The Hebrew name Mary means - "bitter" or "sea of bitterness." Check out
http://www.babynamescountry.com/meanings/Mary.html for more information. That is probably pretty surprising to most people. "Bitter" is certainly not the meaning that is put on the bookmarks they sell with names and their meanings. Not many would be proud of such a bookmark.

As you know, this is my name and it is actually appropriate. For many years I was bitter about some of the things that happened in my childhood. I allowed anger and bitterness to plunge me into depression. Although I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was 5, it wasn't until I was around 21 that I was able to truly forgive the father who abused myself and my family. I finally figured out that bitterness and lack of forgiveness serves to further hurt the victim. The abuser couldn't care less. Forgiving transformed my life and personality. So many changes have happened that I hardly recognize the old me. It was the full acceptance of Christ's forgiveness of my sins that helped me to forgive others.

I read "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning that year and it helped me to see that I am a worthless ragamuffin. The very best things I've ever done are considered filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6) to God. But to God that isn't even relevant. While I was still His enemy, He sought me out (Romans 5:8-10). Jesus, the only perfect sinless human being, died so that I could have eternal life. He was the only one who was qualified to do so. (I digress but I warned you about my ramblings: I hate all this ridiculous talk about self-esteem. People don't need to have self-esteem. They already regard themselves too highly. What we need is a good dose of God-esteem. God's opinion of us is clear--we are His enemies and our righteousness is worthless to Him (see the scriptures above for proof of this). The only reason we are of worth is because we are made in His image and we are made worthy through His Son, Jesus.) I was not cured of my bitterness and depression by thinking more highly of myself. I was cured by thinking more highly of Him and my standing before Him now that I am redeemed through Jesus.

Sorry, guys. This is turning into a book!

One more thing:
There is another word that comes from the same root as "Marah." Myrrh is an Arabic word meaning bitter. The highly valued aromatic gum resin of myrrh has a bitter, pungent taste and a sweet, pleasing aroma. You will remember from the Christmas story that this is one of the gifts the wise men brought to Jesus. Since myrrh was used in the burial process, it signified the eventual sacrifice Christ made when he died on the cross and was buried for three days. I find it interesting that myrrh is bitter to taste but sweet smelling. The whole bitter/sweet thing keeps showing up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, this is a great post! I agree.

Unknown said...

Mary-
I have read and enjoyed your posts on the Cross Motif. I'm sorry I haven't been able to comment on them yet, but this has been a hectic week. I will find some time in the coming days to post longer comments.

I love your writing! It is so beautiful!

Love-
Rebecca

Mary said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm enjoying doing this series. I think it has potential for a devotional I may write.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,
I was just able to get the rest of your posts. Actually Grams found them last night. I can't figure out why they would not come on before this. And you were asking me about them and I thought I knew what you were talking about. Duh!

Good job! You are a great writer.
Love , MOM

Mary said...

Hey Mom,
Which posts were you having trouble finding? You can always go to the Archive list and it shows old articles.