Friday, April 11, 2008

Passion Flower

An observant blogwatcher friend pointed out that she thinks my unidentified flower to the right is called a passion flower. I looked this up. It looks very similar and probably is it, but none of the images looked quite like it. It is definitely blue while the passion flower is usually purple. It is close enough.

The flower's name is "passion" but does not refer to love. It refers to the Passion of Christ on the cross. In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spanish Christian missionaries discovered this flower and adopted its unique physical structures as symbols of the Crucifixion. For example: the radial filaments which can number more than a hundred and vary from flower to flower represent the Crown of Thorns. The ten petals and sepals represent the ten faithful apostles. The top 3 stigmata represent the 3 nails and the lower 5 anthers represent the 5 wounds. I thought this was cool and wanted to pass it along.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I do find it very interesting to look back through history and find the various symbols adapted for inspiration and encouragement. Thanks for sharing this story...

Oh, and I thought the flower *was* purple. Thanks for the clarification there, too! :)