Monday, September 1, 2008

Going to Church?

Many of you may have already heard that Dwight & I are no longer going to church. You may be wondering why. It is simple really. It is impossible. You read that correctly. I say it is impossible, because the church is a people not a place. It doesn’t make sense to say I am going to a people. You could say that you are going to meet with people. The Greek word that was translated as church in English is “ekklesia” and means “to call out.” Generically, this means people who are called together by the town crier to gather as an assembly or group. In its context in the New Testament, it referred specifically to any gathering of Christ followers whether that was in a house, on a hillside, in a cave, or anywhere. Place doesn’t matter, people do.

What so many people think of today as “church” is much different than the original meaning in the New Testament. Today the English word "church" has various meanings. Webster gives the following definitions for the word church:

“1. a building for public Christian worship. 2. a religious service in such a building. 3. (sometimes cap.) a. the world body of Christian believers; Christendom. b. any major division of his body; a Christian denomination. 4. a Christian congregation. 5. organized religion as distinguished from the state. 6. (cap) a. The Christian before the reformation. b. the Roman Catholic Church. 7. the profession of an ecclesiastic -V.C. 8. to perform a church service of thanksgiving for (a woman after child birth).”

The only meaning that remotely resembles the original intent for the word is #4 “a Christian congregation.” The emphasis has become on a building or denomination instead of people. I have determined that I will no longer make that mistake.

If you invite a believer over for dinner and you share that sweet fellowship that only Christians can, guess what? Church just happened. If you see a fellow believer in Walmart and offer a word of encouragement because she is discouraged, guess what? Church just happened. If you go over to the home of a fellow believer to serve him by fixing his porch, guess what? Church just happened. If a fellow believer is struggling and you pray with her, you know what I’m going to say. The 2 ingredients for church are: 2 or more believers, the expression of Christ in a tangible way. In the examples above you saw expressions of fellowship, encouragement, service, and prayer.

We have become so complacent with going to church on one day of the week, that we have forgotten that Christ expects us to BE the church every day of the week so that all of us on this journey together can be encouraged in the REAL everyday world that does not resemble the artificial world of polished praise bands, pews and pulpits, plastic smiles, and pretty dresses.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I am very touched by this entry. It immediately brought to mind the many times at work that you and I shared and supported each other. All those times I was at church and didn't even know it. It's quite moving. Thanks!
Mysia

Mary said...

Mysia,
And you say your comments aren't eloquent. This was great! It made me cry. I, too, enjoyed all that we shared. My mentoring role means so much to me. I truly think it is why I'm still at Devereux. I hoped that I was doing more than just showing you how things worked at Devereux. I wanted to be a support to you at a crucial time in your life. I know I appreciated your willingness to listen to me. Your friendship means much to me. I am touched that you would look back on that time and recognize our relationship as church.

Unknown said...

I do realize that many Christians do just think going to church once a week is the Christian life. Actually, they may not really believe this, but this is all they are willing to give God.

Mary, you know that in our family we were not raised that way. We talked about God all through the week. We read our Bibles and prayed all through the week too. I would say that the word church has just evolved as many words do over time. Yes, we do often think of a church as a building, but I know that the body of Christ is also the church. I have also known that it is the original meaning. I have to go feed my boys so I will have to get back to writing later.

Unknown said...

Mary,
My comments are going to read in a disjointed way because I am trying to grab bits of time in between taking care of my twins. I think all other comments I will first write them in a Word document.

First of all, I do think it is a neat and warm thought to think about church happening all week. But, I would say that we were raised to be that way. Would you not agree? I know I knew that I was supposed to follow Christ with every breath I took. I know our grandparents and Mom do. Mom even reads the Bible more often than she used to, and I say that with the knowledge that I can not remember a day that she did not read her Bible when I was a kid. One cannot talk an hour with my Grandparents and not mention God. That is what the follower of Christ is supposed to do. I love Ray Comfort's ministry "The Way of the Master" because he is so saturated in God's Word that it comes from every pore in his body. Of course, I never thought of calling it the word "church". I called it words like the Christian walk, following Christ, good works, and fulfilling our calling in Christ.

The word "church" has definitely evolved, but that is the nature of things. I would say that all the dictionary definitions of church are accurate. But, the word "church" in the New Testament referred to the body of believers. I also did not and do not believe that you and Dwight stopped going to church. You are just hunting for a new church home which just happens to be home churches that you are looking at. I don't and have never thought that there was anything wrong with going to a home church. Legacy Baptist where Brian and I attend started out as a home church meeting at the "lake house" in Ginger family. I would agree and have always agreed that the place you meet together with other believers is insigificant. The point is that you must meet. Paul says not to forsake the meeting together of believers. So, no matter where you meet it is very important to do and it goes beyond just your Christian walk with whoever happens to be around.

The word "Christian" has also changed, but so have many words. By the way, I think Southerners used to call what we say as "going to church" as "going to meetin's".

Mary said...

Rebecca,
While I agree with you that we should not "forsake the meeting of ourselves together," what I am resisting is the tendency for people to think such a meeting has not occurred unless a 3-point sermon has been delivered and the offering plate has been passed. That passage does not specify what elements must be included when we meet. Because of that no one can be dogmatic about it. It is my opinion that the elements of a healthy church meeting will vary with every meeting to convey the full range of the Spirit's creativity and address the specific needs of each member for that week. Most church liturgies/programs allow for no such flexibility.

Also, when I describe those casual moments of meeting with at least one other person for mutual edification as "church" I do not mean that one should never meet with a larger group on a consistent basis for worship, fellowship, and study. But those casual meetings are also important aspects and should not be discounted. To me church is not a formal meeting, a building, or an activity. It is relationships between believers. As we develop those relationships we will find ourselves desiring to meet in many different ways with various numbers of people. I, for one, love singing in a group too much to meet only with one other person. Also, if we want to develop relationships, we can't just leave it to a chance meeting because that will rarely happen in our busy world. It is important to schedule times to meet, but limiting to plan out every second of that meeting ahead of time.

Unknown said...

Yes, I do agree that meeting together or church or whatever one wants to call it does not have to include a sermon. When Brian led the Way of the Master study in Ginger's house while I taught the kids Bible stories upstairs was a form of what we call "church". I do think that it is best to have some form of teaching by someone who has prepared ahead of time even when you get together for a fellowship meal. I believe it to be fine to have a formal teaching (a sermon) or just a casual teaching (but the person needs to have studied). The New Testament does not indicate what we have to do each time when we meet or anything about the order. We just know that there must be order. We also know that we need to include teaching, singing, fellowship, and the Lord's supper in our meetings. Of course, it does not say how often we have to put these things in our meetings.

About the living out the Christian life daily... I know both of us were taught to do this. I find that the things I have the hardest time with is the witnessing. I have now started back with handing out tracks on every grocery trip and doctors appointment I make (which is the only time I get away from the house). I would say that if you are serious about following Christ then you naturally encourage and love to be around other believers.

Unknown said...

By the way... growing up didn't you think you were meeting together or going to church when we just went on visitation or to a fellowship meal or to a prayer meeting or bowling with the youth group? I felt I was. I also feel like I am "going to church" when I participate in Upwards Soccer and Upwards Basketball that my church does. We are there teaching the children and we always share a teaching, as well as, encouragement and fellowship. Don't you?