It was last May when I read “Pagan Christianity” and began exploring the Hebrew perspective on life, church, and education. That summer I wrote a 15 page paper for my class on the topic of how different the Hebrew mindset was from our Western mindset especially as that relates to education. I’ve been thinking on that lately. I guess it is so
frustrating because I actually work for a public school system.
Let me give some background. The very foundation of our society in the US is shaped by a Western mindset which is largely influenced by the Greek/Roman mindset—it is what we would call a classical education. The Hebrews whose history is recorded in the Bible think with an Eastern mindset. It is totally different from how we think. Some of you may know that Hebrew books are read from right to left (this is true of Eastern cultures). Their music is often in the minor key (and I have to say I’m partial to that). Those are some differences you may already be familiar with, but I want to share some others. Right now I’m going to talk about their viewpoint on education.
The majority of students today are educated in public schools controlled & funded by the government. There was no such thing for a Hebrew student. The responsibility for education was with a child’s parents. When students were old enough to prepare for an occupation this was done as an apprenticeship rather than at a university. This was true because of the Hebrew emphasis on the practical as opposed to the Greek emphasis on the theoretical & philosophical.
Another distinction is that God was central to education for a Hebrew student. Today we attempt to teach without ever mentioning God. I posit that this is not possible. God’s word says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. How can we know anything of import if we do not understand it from His perspective? Indeed, it is empty and unprofitable if God is not central. A Hebrew would say, “How can you teach science without God, for it is He who made the world and all that is in it?” A Hebrew would say, “How can you teach social studies apart from God, for it is His story that is important and our relationship with Him that is our primary purpose?” A Hebrew would say, “How can you teach math without God, because He is the standard by which all things are measured and it is God who knows the number of hairs on our heads?” A Hebrew would say, “How can you teach language arts apart from God, for it is He who is the Word.”
Often people ask if we plan on having children. Since I’m 32 and I’ve been married for 8 ½ years I guess it is normal for people to wonder this. My answer is no. I have several reasons but one of my primary ones relates to this topic of education. Because of our unique situation and the fact that Dwight is retired on disability, I will always have to work full-time. If I were to have children I would have to send them to public school. I refuse to do this. If I can’t homeschool them, I won’t have them. Please do not misunderstand if your children do attend public school. This is my personal choice and conviction for my family and does not mean that it must be the same for others. I just believe that the very foundation of public education undermines a Biblical worldview. God’s plan was for education to take place within the familial context in order to instill loyalty to family and God. Public education fosters loyalty to the state. Our country no longer reflects my values or beliefs so I don’t want to push responsibility for my child’s education off on an establishment that teaches the religion of materialism (a.k.a. evolution) under the guise of science, sacrifices truth for tolerance, ignores the need for spiritual growth, encourages self-esteem and independence rather than God/other-esteem and interdependence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is a good post.
Post a Comment