Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Literary Preferences Indicative of the Real Me

I’m always so surprised to learn of how people perceive me. When it comes to my taste in literature, people usually think that I’m a Jane Austen fan. I suppose I do present a composed, prim & proper front and people assume I like to read endearing British romances. Hmmm, I suppose with a title like the one on this entry, it is no wonder where people get their ideas. While I do enjoy Jane Austen movies, I suffered through Pride & Prejudice when I was forced to read it in high school. I never picked up another Austen novel. In fact, I avoid most British literature.
I prefer gritty American novels like Of Mice & Men or Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, The Sound & the Fury by Faulkner, or Bless the Beasts & the Children by Glendon Swarthout. One of my favorites is Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I like stark realism. In Of Mice & Men I physically ache with the depth of loneliness in the lives of the ranch hands. I can’t shake free of the layer of dirt caking the skin of all who experienced the dust bowl as described in Grapes of Wrath. I’ll never forget his image of the turtle lying helplessly on its back beside the road—unable to change the fact that it will starve to death because it is powerless to flip itself over. I enjoyed both The Sound & the Fury and Bless the Beasts & the Children because the varying perspectives of the narrators reveal their struggles coming from dysfunctional families. That is a reality that resonates with me. I suppose discussing juicy tidbits from a letter while sitting under a parasol on the well-manicured lawn of a sweeping estate or waltzing with wealthy bachelors is so far removed from my own world that I find little with which to relate.




5 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, Mary. I learn so much about you when you write a blog! I did think you liked British literature. That's interesting to find out that you really don't care for it. I think it's also interesting that you and I seem to love and enjoy the books we read for 2 totally different reasons. You seem to look for something with which to relate with, whereas I read to escape my realism into something far removed from myself. Your example of what happens in typical Austen type books (the estate lawn, etc) is what I love to find in a book so I can imagine a whole different world than what I live with every day. I always enjoy reading what you write and finding ways to compare what I do with what you think. It's fun!

Mary said...

Jenny,
I love it about you that you do like Austen & British Lit. It is so you! My preferences are a little more complicated than my entry suggests. I like a wide variety of literature. I like realism because I can relate, but I do also read to escape. But when I read to escape rather than relate, I prefer fantasy or time travel. I like to go to a totally different world like Narnia with fantastical characters and unfamiliar environments.

Unknown said...

Mary,
I think you should try reading some novels by Terry Brooks. It is the fantasy world of Druids, Gnomes, Dwarfs, and Fairre people. Brian introduced me to this author and I love the books. I think they would also be appropriate for your students. I can loan you a series next time you come over. You and Dwight could get hooked like I was.

I also loved reading Alas, Babylon! and Fahrenheit 47 or 57 (I can't remember the number.)

Mary said...

Rebecca,
I think I'd like the series you describe. Sounds like it is right up my alley. It is Fahrenheit 451 and I liked that as well. It is science fiction. I also loved Flowers for Algernon. I couldn't stand The Awakening or Tess of the D' Urbervilles. The entire class that I took in my undergrad relating to Henry James was pure torture.

Jenny said...

Not a fan of Henry James either. And Flowers for Algernon made me cry.