I was just reading on my sister, Ruth's blog that one of the things she learned from me when I was visiting a few weeks ago was that it is rude to move items people are about to purchase when you are standing behind them in the line at the grocery store, Walmart, etc. I wanted to expound upon this pet peeve of mine. What started it was that while Ruth & I were at Walmart, the woman behind us had the gall to move my stuff forward! As is typical, there was no divider to put between people's stuff. Ruth had some purchases and I had some purchases, but I put some space between ours so the cashier would know when hers left off and mine began. Well, the woman behind us pushed all of my items up into Ruth's. I had to explain to the cashier what was Ruth's and what was mine. I was soooo steamed. When we got into the parking lot, I exclaimed to Ruth about how miffed I was that the lady touched my stuff, totally thinking Ruth would be on my side. She didn't understand. She admitted she has done this before, never realizing it might be rude. Although I don't think she ever understood why I was so upset, she plans to respect other's boundaries in the future.
The way I see it, touching other people's purchases is a total violation of boundaries. No matter how much you think they have done a poor job of stacking their stuff on the conveyer belt, you have no right to touch it. Be PATIENT. They have waited in line too and have every right to monopolize as much of the conveyer belt as they need. It isn't your business. Wait your turn. For all intents and purposes, those items belong to them now because within seconds they will be paying for them. If you touch their items it is the same as trespassing on their property. Would you want someone to put their cup on your car hood or lean against your car? It is the same thing. If you can't wait to put your stuff up on the belt until there is actually room for it, you need to take a chill pill or try online shopping. In fact, it would be good if your stuff is a hand's width away from mine if there is no divider. When you touch my stuff I feel violated. You are in my personal space. Besides, I have no idea when you last washed your hands. I'd rather you not handle something I might wear or eat when I don't even know who you are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
TWO SIDES TO A COIN
I have never rearranged or pushed up someone's items on the conveyor belt, but I do think it is just as rude to spread your stuff out and take up all the room. If I were more outgoing, I would ask a person to move their items up a bit. Instead I just quietly hope they are nice and will notice that they could make a little more room for someone else besides themselves. Some people actually do see this and I consider them to be very nice and considerate of others. So... there on two sides of this coin. Ask someone if they could make a little more space. Don't move their stuff without asking and getting permission to do it. Secondly, notice others and put your stuff on the belt in a compact fashion in order to be considerate. It sure helps the line go faster.
I always try to give the person behind me as much space as possible in order to practice kindness to others.
Mary, don't feel too steamed over the concept of whether they washed their hands or not before touching your items because many people have touched those items before you put them in your basket. Clothes that you buy have been tried on by others and food items have already been picked up and examined by others. Just always wash your stuff before you wear it or eat it.
I ALWAYS wash stuff before I wear it. Don't you? I thought everybody did....hmmmm.
And I ask, "Do you mind if I start stacking my things behind yours?" at the store.
I really never thought about it- but that is rather invasive-
Somebody coming up and just tossing your stuff ahead.
Everybody is always in such a hurry.
Very sad how inconsiderate we can be of each other without any thought or real care.
And by the way Ruth adn Mary- that is ONE AMAZING SISTER YOU HAVE.
She handles those babies like a champ! xoR
In response to Rebecca's comment: Yes, it is thoughtful to condense your items and take up less space. I always do. I am very precise about how I stack my items so that space is utilized most effectively. I also keep the frozen, refrigerated, and non-food items together by type for easy bagging by the grocery clerk. I'm sure that doesn't surprise you. What makes me steamed is that this girl would move it when it was already condensed. In fact, my stuff only took a few inches of space--it was just separated from Ruth's so that the grocery clerk wouldn't ring my items up on Ruth's bill.
R,
It sounds like you are very considerate of others at the store. Actually, I do wash my food, but I don't always wash clothes before I wear them. I like the new feel and smell of something before it is washed for the first time. Ruth has to wash things because she has sensitive skin to fabrics. I try to choose the clothes that are still buttoned all the way and don't look like they have been tried on. I know I have no way of knowing, but I'm really not as concerned about the germs as I obviously seemed in my rant. I guess I can be inconsistent. Honestly, I just don't like my space invaded.
Mary,
This may surprise you, but I also stack my items by non-food, cold, heavy items (like drinks), cans, boxed items, and then the light items (like produce and bread) last. I do this to help the cashier and because it helps me when unpacking at home. Are you surprised?
Rebecca,
Yes, I am surprised you do it too. I actually put my lighter items first usually so that I can get them right away and put them in the front of the cart so as not to be crushed.
Mary,
I arranged the light items and fresh fruit and veggies last because at stores where they pack your cart I hated it would they would put these items on the bottom of everything. They were usually good about handing me the bags of read and eggs for the front part. But, the packers would inevitably put a heavier package on the fresh fruit and vegetables if I didn't arrange it last in the line of things. Now it doesn't apply because I grocery shop most at Walmart, but I am in the habit of things.
Post a Comment