I'm sure all of my alert readers have been waiting with great anticipation for the entry that would shed light on the enigmatic reference to my preference for spoons in the Intro. paragraph. (One reader commented on this so I know at least one person noticed). The mystery will now be resolved.
My family members know that I am very particular about EVERYTHING. I have favorites and preferences about things most people don't waste time contemplating. The normal person has a favorite color, dessert, song, and movie. I admit here that I have a favorite utensil. And that would be the spoon. As a child, I hated forks because I always thought I'd spear myself to death with its sharp points (okay, so I'm not very coordinated). Ask my family members, I still prefer the forks with shorter points. I never understood why most people used forks for almost everything. Spoons are so much better at handling things without spilling them--especially things like peas. I only use a fork for things like meat or green beans--things you need to spear. I even used a spoon to eat cake until that became difficult because most people don't supply spoons at parties. You will always find a spoon at the place setting in my house. I usually have to remind my family to give me a spoon when I'm eating at theirs.
I suppose the most surprising dish that I eat with a spoon is spaghetti. I actually "cut" the spaghetti by turning my fork on its side and cutting in rows horizontally and vertically. So I create neat bite-sized sections. Then I scoop those up with a spoon. Really--you should try it before you knock it. It is much more effective than trying to twirl the long uncut noodles around a fork. Here is a picture: 


2 comments:
Forks Rule!!!!
I have to say I agree with you, Mary. Spoons can do a lot that other utensils can't. Although with my kids I'm just happy when they use one at all. Especially with spaghetti. What a mess...!
Post a Comment